Our mission : to develop and qualify new materials and processes for use in industrial and medical applications.
SCT’s R&D team is comprised of industry experts, each offering a broad range of experience in technical and advanced ceramics materials and metals. SCT has historically emphasized in-house research as a means to perfect and innovate on the industry standards. Our high-purity, dense, alumina formula, ALUCER®, maintains some of the best properties in the industry.
Led by science
Over the last two decades SCT has expanded its R&D activity. Three of our staff members hold PHDs in mechanical and materials science and our laboratory has made investments in new, state of the art machinery. This has empowered us to follow the technological trends required by our clients who are developing innovative devices in high-tech markets.
Our labs are equipped with the following equipment and capabilities
- Microstructural characterization (Scanning electron microscope, EDX, binocular, optical microscope, digital microscope) from x10 to x20,000
- Mechanical characterization (tensile, compression, bending)
- Electrical characterization (dielectric strength, insulation resistance)
- Ceramic pilot plant (ball mill, spray dryer, press, sintering furnaces) and ceramic control means (laser granulometer, density, viscosity)
SCT’s R&D is recognized by the state as an accredited CIR research center.
Optimizing & developing materials
- Our area of focus is to ensure the integrity of our materials and guarantee their performance in the most extreme environments.
- Our material research is concentrated in the following areas :
- Electrical properties
- Purity and Biocompatibility
- Our R&D service also engages in developing new materials. As our clients’ products become more high tech and their applications more critical, we develop new materials to meet these demands.
Perfecting our brazing technology
- Our laboratory research defines the engineering and manufacturing parameters for brazed assembles. This continual search for new methods in brazing technology has vast consequences for the quality, lead-time and cost of new products for our clients.
- Some of the procedures impacted by our research include :
- Ceramic die-pressing and sintering
- New metallization techniques and materials
- New cleaning techniques
SCT R&D participates in collaborative projects on a national and international scale. Our clients, by extension, benefit from a network that incorporates academic and world-renowned research centers
Our research and development focus by market
(cochlear, neurostimulation and cardiac markets)
- Increasing mechanical performance.
(energy, electron tube, aerospace markets)
- Increasing heat thresholds.
- Increasing our ceramic’s electrical performance.
Interested in learning more about our research capabilities ?